Keywords Research for SEO Ranking
Keywords play a critical role in Search Engine Optimization. Selecting the right set of keywords can drive more visitors to your website which can ultimately generate more leads. The string of words that a user types in the search box and the keywords you decide for your webpage is the base of your google ranking. It is where the online traffic stems up. Optimizing your keywords in relevance to the user search terms can generate your chances of a better ranking. As, the information presented by your site content will be eligible for search queries that relate to your keywords. Thus, it becomes essential to choose the right set of keywords. Out of hundreds and thousands of possible pages to display, the search engine has the authority to decide the best match for every search, based on its own algorithms. The SEO tactics of keyword optimization can increase your chances of showing up on the search result. This will benefit your business withan increased traffic to your site and thereby generating sales.
Before we go any further, let’s take a step back. What is are keywords? In terms of search engine optimization, keywords are words or phrases that describe the content of a site.It helps search engines to identify the relevance of your site with user search query. Keyword can be a single word or collection of a few words (known as longtail keywords).
What is keyword research?
Selecting the right set of keywords for your business is not a child’s play. It requires some research and study to find out the set of terms a potential customer will use to find the products or services (that you sell) on the web.
Once the list of potent keywords is generated, it is required to incorporate those keywords into your content in a restricted amount. The keywords you select should be relevant to your content and precisely tell the search engine what your site is about. This is because when a query is entered in the search box by a visitor, search engine has hundreds and thousands of results to select from. It depends on the search engine algorithms to determine the eligibility of a site and rank the best match for a search query. The more relevant your keywords, better are the chances of your content showing up on the result page to the potential customers.Obtaining a top rank on the search result page is equally important as ranking on the first page.
"Result Page Rank is directly proportional to Website Traffic"
Before we head to keyword research, it is important to be familiar with some basic terms that’s going to come your way.
Here we start:
1. Keywords. As discussed above, keyword is a word or phrase that tells the central theme of your website or webpage. It precisely tells the search engine about your content and fetch your page to the result page whenever a relevant search query is received.
2. Longtail Keywords. Keywords that contain more than three words are called longtail keywords. They give a better conversion rate as customer query is more precise and better are the chances of getting them converted into buyers of what you are offering. Moreover, 70% of online searches are more than three words.
3. Search Volume. It constitutes of total number of searches performed in a month for a single keyword. The keyword searched for the maximum number of times has the highest search volume. Obtaining top ranks for keywords with high search volume, drives more traffic and gives a better conversion rate for your business.
4. Competition. Keywords with high search volume comes with competition. There are no gains in trying to rank for a keyword that has high competition. As more the number of websites trying to rank for a keyword, difficult are the chances of obtaining position on the result page. A good choice for keyword is the one that has high search volume and low competition. But it demands hard work and patience.
But, how to select the keywords? There is no precise way of finding apt keywords for your website and pages. The only way to find your keywords is to research and experiment. Some keyword planner tools may also help to find the related search terms a user may use to find the product/service online that you sell.
Don’t worry. You don’t have to perform the trial and error thing. Here, we are listing some of the best practices to choose appropriate keywords for your site page.
Choosing the right keywords for your site page: -
- Brainstormkeywords. Make a list of words and phrases that a potential customer is likely to use in the search box to find the products and services you sell.
- Keyword planner tools. Google’s keyword planner tool and suggestion feature can help you expand your list of apt keywords. Tools like Ubersuggest is also helpful in finding the best combination of words with your keywords
- Keyword modifiers. On an average, searcher use modifiers such as “Where can”, “How to”, “What is”, etc. in their search queries. Thus, make use of these keyword modifiers to obtain exact matches.
- Check the search volume for each keyword you decide. The good idea is to choose keywords with high search volume and low competition. As a keyword with high competition will make it difficult for your site to rank.
- When you finally end up with a list of keywords, refine your list by checking it’s relevance with your site content and analyzing websites that already rank for your chosen keywords.
- After you have your keywords handy, it’s time to map all keywords to different site pages according to its relevancy with the content.
SEO is a never-ending process and so is the keyword research. Different customers will use different terms and so you need to update your list periodically. Also,search engine algorithms undergo updates affecting the way SEO works. It demands patience to see results of your efforts when it comes to search engine rankings. Also, researching your keywords and implementing it to your site in routine can be a tidy process.But, don’t forget - patience give fruitful results.